The ACLU: Banner Banners
by Noah Lugeons
Gotta love the ACLU.
The ACLU announced yesterday that they would be filing a lawsuit to force a Boston area school to remove an explicitly Christian banner from the school’s auditorium. Apparently just pointing out that the law expressly forbids it hanging there wasn’t enough to convince the school, who voted to keep the banner up when the same issue was brought before them last year.
The ability of Christians to play “repressed” never fails to amaze me. In a nation where virtually every position of power in the government is controlled by a Christian, every president through our nation’s history has been Christian (unless you believe Bradlee Dean) and Christianity enjoys a cornucopia of privileges not granted to other faiths, still the holier-than-me of the world will claim oppression whenever they are expected to play by the same rules as everyone else.
Keep in mind that when atheists put a harmless sign on a bus with the pussy-footing message of “There’s probably no God”, the Christians get apoplectic. They sue, they protest, they write angry letters to the editor and eventually vandalize the signs. This is their reaction to a message so watered down it’s drowning. This is their reaction when we simply say “by the way, we also exist”.
And yet, somehow in the miswired mind of the faithful, it’s perfectly okay to indoctrinate the children of atheists (not to mention Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists and those of any other faith). So much so that it will require action by the courts just to get them to stop flaunting their majority in a way that is expressly forbidden in the Constitution.
I’m okay with Christians claiming oppression, but shouldn’t we at least get the joy of oppressing them first? If they were complaining because they were being fed to lions, I would completely understand that. I’d also be on You-Tube searching every derivative of the words “Christian”, “Lion” and “Disemboweled”.
I’ll never understand how the Christian brain manages to overcome the inherent paradox of saying that they are being treated unfairly because they are being treated the same way as everyone else.
By the way, I double checked… there are no You-Tube results for Christian, Lion, Disemboweled. All for the best… it might have been a video of CS Lewis’ Jesus allegory getting ripped open.
- ScathingAtheist 214: Flat Earth Edition March 23, 2017In this week’s episode, Pakistan wants a “stone to death” option on Facebook, Texas considers a cap and trade system to discourage sperm waste, and Alabama joins the fight against the fight against child abuse. --- To get a copy of Diatribes Volume 2: 50 More Essays From a Scathing Atheist, click here: https://www.amazon.com/Diatribes-Essays-Scathing-Atheist […]Puzzle in a Thunderstorm, LLC
- ScathingAtheist 213: Hat Trick Edition March 16, 2017In this week’s episode, Ben Carson, Carl the Pugapegacorn, and Ray Comfort help us act out the Book of Mormon, Nike hopes to allow Muslim women to be oppressed in a nice breathable mesh, and Dave Daubenmire will find god in the ass of a skunk. --- To make a per episode donation at Patreon.com, click here: http://www.patreon.com/ScathingAtheist To buy our boo […]Puzzle in a Thunderstorm, LLC
- ScathingAtheist 212: Aladdin a Lad Edition March 9, 2017In this week’s episode, Iowa passes a law forcing you to listen to Joel Osteen's show after this one, Disney uses Josh Gad to sell everyone on being gay, and that wacky Joseph Smith will look back into his rock-hat and make up some more Mormonism. --- To make a per episode donation at Patreon.com, click here: http://www.patreon.com/ScathingAtheist To bu […]Puzzle in a Thunderstorm, LLC
- If the link to buy my new book, Diatribes Volume 2, is shared 100 times, Jesus will cure a baby's cancer. amazon.com/Diatribes-Essa… 1 day ago
- On this week's episode of the Scathing #Atheist, I'll shamelessly whore for my new book. audioboom.com/posts/5738262-… 2 days ago
- My new book, Diatribes Volume 2, is now available as an e-book. You should probably buy it just to be safe. amazon.com/Diatribes-Essa… 2 days ago
- On this week's episode, a British accent from an actual British dude. audioboom.com/posts/5738262-… 2 days ago
- On this week's episode of the Scathing #Atheist, we examine flat earthers from all around the world. audioboom.com/posts/5738262-… 2 days ago