Start Digging

by Noah Lugeons

StartDigging

The nature of most religious arguments is doomed from the start.  It amazes me how often I’ll theoretically concede a point just to point out that even then, they’ve done nothing to prove their point.  I will say, in effect, “You’re not right, but even if you were right, you still wouldn’t be right.”

How many religious debates hinge on things that barely crack the 3rd layer of the diagram above?  How often does the would-be apologist fail to even break the surface?  Arguing against evolution, the big bang, the secular root for morality, the existence of this or that miracle… none of this would even make it into the red.

It’s a really indicator of just how soundly we’re winning the debate.  At one time the best we could hope for was to stand in the yellow and argue with the folks in the orange.  Before Darwin, most learned men and women (and how woefully few learned women there were then) had to stand in the red and argue against the yellow.

But as empiricism charges forward, the mental-missionaries find themselves in constant retreat.  When they pick away at tiny nuggets of their own ignorance about evolution or abiogenesis, they’re breaking their pick-axes against the blue.  It’s gotten so bad for them that if they can convince one poor sap to even momentarily doubt evolution, they consider it a victory.  Never mind that this does nothing to prove superstition, theism, religion or their own personal religion.  They’re breaking out the party hats if they can simply convince someone to think perhaps something someone else told them might be flawed.

Advertisements
  1. March 31, 2013 at 1:45 PM

Niccce Doppler Effect.

2. March 31, 2013 at 6:42 PM

Nothing brings clarity like a Venn diagram! Nice. Might put a circle smaller yet and label it ‘your sect’ … though it shouldn’t be necessary to make the point.

• March 31, 2013 at 6:49 PM

As I looked at it I saw so many ways to add more layers… I guess eventually I’ll make a 34 level version and sell it as a poster.

• March 31, 2013 at 7:02 PM

Awesome, I’m in on that

3. March 31, 2013 at 9:16 PM

Because there’s no faith involved in the belief that inanimate, inorganic gases evolved into life, or that things spontaneously begin to exist without an external cause, or that matter has always existed or that there can be an infinite regress of cause or . . . You go boy!

• April 1, 2013 at 11:18 PM

See, this is the bat-shit stupidity that I’m referring to. I suppose it’s completely lost on you that your asinine argument supports my point. You’re trying to pretend that poking holes in the current scientific narrative of the origin of life and the universe somehow supports a theistic worldview. What’s truly sad is even after you read this, where I clearly state what I clearly stated above (with a visual aid), you will still somehow be ignorant of it.

I applaud the effort such ignorance must take in a world with the internet.

1. No trackbacks yet.